Institute has played a pivotal role in providing educational opportunities to the rural areas surrounding it. The College has completed 18 years of its existence by promoting excellence in the field of education. This college has earned its reputation as institution for academics.
The College opened its doors in June 2002, for imparting knowledge to the first generation learners of rural areas of Uruli Kanchan and around east Haveli, Daund, Shirur, Purandhar Tehsils to bring about a radical change in the society.
The college started with the Arts, Science and commerce faculties and professional courses of B.Sc. Computer Science and B.B.A. Computer Applications were introduced in 2008 and 2009 respectively. The institution is distinct in the aspect of its programmes offered as it is one a very few rural colleges to offer Microbiology as a subject for graduation and professional courses in Computer Science.
Today we have 1000+ students admitted in the college with BA, BSc, BCom, BBA (Computer Applications) and BSc (Computer Science) under graduate Courses.
The location of this College is endowed with natural beauty, serenity and tranquility. This place is considered as the land blessed with the touch of Mahatma Gandhiji. This distinct characteristic enables the preservation of natural environment, which is our well thought out strength and helps in building character for creation of worthy human resource.
The aspects of the path followed by the college are as follows:
- The curriculum undertaken, along with fieldwork and theory is rich and able to develop specifics such as addressing gender and livelihood issues in the rural context. As well as it provides an opportunity to gain employment to rural students through the skill development courses framed by this college considering regional requirements.
- College is providing quality education to the girls of rural areas in order to achieve the empowerment of women. The vision of the college is to enable the rural population in order to bridge the rural-urban divide by providing low-cost quality higher education to the girl’s students of socio-economically weaker section of the area nearby.
- The performance of our girls students in examination is exceptional in spite of the fact that majority of them have a rural background. The secret of success is due to the remedial teaching which is undertaken to cater to the needs of slow learners.
- Mentoring has also helped the students to get rid of academic and stress related problems. Yoga and meditation sessions have helped the students to have a healthy mind in a healthy body.
- Besides the teaching process, for all-round development, every year Elocution Competition, Poem Recitation, Essay Writing, Slogan Writing, Rangoli making, Poster and G.K competition are organized by the departmental councils of the college.
- We also aim to empower our students intellectually, spiritually, mentally and physically through various extra and co-curricular activities and schemes like, ‘Earn While You Learn’, ‘Save the Girl-Child’, ‘Save Environment’, and ‘Save Water’ etc.
- To develop the qualities of leadership, a unit of NSS is registered in the college. 200 students are enrolled in NSS. Through N.S.S., students reach the society and become acquainted with rural problems, which they try to resolve thereby reducing the gap between the rural and the urban, the educated and the illiterate, as well as the rich and the poor.
- This institute is trying to bring the best global practices to higher education to create a model of sustainable rural development. The institute believes, in collaboration and working with multiple partners, including other foundations, NGOs, corporate and the government, hence the College has joined through MOUs with various institutes and industries.
- A majority of our students belongs to rural families and socially marginalized groups. Many of them are first generation learners. They belong to illiterate families, suffer from cultural disorientation and sometimes have migrated from their native places At the FY level many of them hesitate even to talk in the local language to the faculty members regarding their difficulties. However we identify such students and help to solve their problems at the departmental level or at the individual level. We help them to correspond with government authorities like scholarship issues, filling online forms, availing book bank schemes, concessions, installment facility in fees etc.
The evidence of the special efforts taken by the college to build the character and instill social values can be seen in the following activities:
- Gender Sensitization: Gender Audit 2019-20
- Earn and Learn Scheme: From 2004-05 to 2019-20
- Cleanliness Campaign: 10-07-2016
- Food Festival: Starting from 2011-12 till date each year
- Organ Donation Awareness Program: 13-12-2019
- Mahatma Gandhi Vichar Examination: 1-6-2019 to 7-10-2019
- Excursion Programs: Yearly excursion programs.
This model empowers rural communities with the capability of creating choice for themselves and their families, allowing them to transform their own lives and ensuring a permanent and irreversible change for good through the courses, co-curricular activities provided by this institute.
In last 5 years, many students have found employment in Industry; many are in the field of entrepreneurships, own business, work in the fields like film industry, advanced farming, green house technology, plants nursery business, social activities.
Until the establishment of our college, facility of Higher Education was not available in this East Haveli tehsil for 25kms surroundings. Higher education was the distant dream for almost all the girl students of the rural and farmer families in nearby region. It is only after the beginning of our college, the first generation of the area got their first graduates in almost all families.
Our college has a considerable strength of girl students in our college indicating towards empowerment of the women in the area. We humbly believe that the success of our college has certainly fulfilled vision of our Sanstha – Governing Council members. We are proud to state that this is the distinctiveness of our institution.