Some of the initiatives taken in this direction are as follows:
- Plantation – Various types of trees have been planted in the college premises.
- Vermicomposting: The College has a vermicomposting unit. Dry leaves and kitchen waste from the canteen are collected and are placed in the vermin composting unit which has two chambers.
- Roof top rainwater harvesting project: Rain-Water harvesting project is now functional in the campus. There is 100% water recycling in the campus. This has also helped in converting the campus into a green campus, which is based on recycled water. The main objective of rooftop rain water harvesting is to make water available for future use. The pipeline has been laid from the roof of one of the buildings which is connected to the sump.
- Plastic Free campus- To restrict the use of plastic material in college campus. In the current climate, proper waste management and reducing plastic-use is fundamental to improving overall sustainability and environmental practices in college premises.
- Botanical Garden– in our botanical garden at college premises verities of plants species and varieties have been planted. Its helpful for environmental sustainability as well as to teach biodiversity. Hive Boxes are placed in the botanical garden for the conservation of honey bees and effective pollination of flowering plants
- Landscaping – It promotes greenery, monitor environmental impacts and generate awareness on environmental issues.
- E-waste – In E-Waste management Non-working computers, monitors and printers are discarded and scrapped on a systematic basis. If some parts are useful, in other systems they are kept aside for future use. E-waste corner has been set up in the computer department laboratory where the college e-waste is collected from time to time. The collected e-waste is sold to the proper agency for recycling.
- Hazardous chemical disposal – In Hazardous waste management the faculties use very less corrosive chemicals for carrying out practical classes. Disposal to drains is done in dilute form and is kept in minimum practical. Chemicals are purchased in minimum quantity to save expiry and disposal.
- Pedestrian walking track – in our college campus we have developed walking track to encourage walking, cycling and to make aware about health problems.
- Restriction to automobiles – In our college premises to restrict the use of automobile for to control the pollution.
- Non conventional energy and Use of renewable energy – The campus has a solar lighting system in the campus.
- The college conducts periodically a green audit by external agency. The objective of the green audit is to promote the Environment Management and Conservation on the college campus and introduce and aware students to the real concerns of environment and its sustainability. We have undertaken a program of labeling the plants on the college campus. The college has developed beautiful campus with Lawns, Ornamental garden, Botanical garden, Cactus garden.
- Department of Zoology has developed Vermicomposting units on the campus. The objective is to create awareness of the solid waste management and recycle solid waste from the college campus and produce economically important Vermicompost.
- Signboards/posters are displayed on the college campus for encouraging ideas of plastic-free campus, noise pollution, and environmental awareness.
- The college organizes seminars/workshops, expert lectures etc. on environment-related issues
- LED bulbs are installed in the college buildings to save electricity.
- College observes ‘No Vehicle Day’.
The college’s key activities have minimal impact on the environment, as the college is very concerned about of generating less waste and recycling it. College employs scientific ways that enable the used material to be recycled ensuring that less natural resources are used. Waste generated on the campus is segregated as a solid waste, liquid waste, and e-waste.
Solid Waste Management:
For the collection of regular solid waste (Dry and Wet) garbage bins are kept at different places on the campus and in laboratories. The collected solid waste is picked up by Gram panchayat, Uruli kanchan time to time for proper disposal and recycling. Waste from plants is also collected and used in Vermi-composting units for preparation of organic compost. For proper disposable of raw glass material and raw papers (Scrap) college has signed the MoUs with Scrap Shop for proper recycling and reuse.