Department of Physical Education
“Every human being has a fundamental right of access to physical education and sport, which are essential for the full development of his personality. The freedom to develop physical, intellectual and moral powers through physical education and sport must be guaranteed both within the educational system and in other aspects of social life.”
The UNESCO Charter of Physical Education and Sport
NAME OF DEPARTMENT:
Department of Physical Education
Mahatma Gandhi Sarvodaya Sangh Sanchalit Padmashri Manibhai Desai Mahavidyalaya, Uruli Kanchan, Tal: Haveli, Dist: Pune-412202
INTRODUCTION OF DEPARTMENT:
M.G.S.S Padmashri Manibhai Desai Mahavidyalaya was established in 2002. The college is affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University. The Sports department was also started at the same time and it is catering Physical Education and sports facility to all college students.
Vital Objective of Department is not only to participate & win a competition but also to develop overall personality, mental and physical fitness. We encourage the students to take part in sports activities and competitions. We have schedule for practice in various games and all sports equipment is provided by sports department. We always maintain the Sports Issue Register, Stock register, Inward outward, Student enrollment data register and attendance of players. Many times the boys & girls are ready to play but face hurdles from the family, at such condition we personally meet the parents & have a talk with them , explain them that college is going to take the responsibility & personal care of every participant. College provides full security to them in all conditions. College offers special platform to selected students and gives them an opportunity to participate in all the tournaments organized by different Institutions and at different places. For that purpose college authority forms Sports Committee to look after sports affairs and smooth conduct of sports. In such cases college bear all the related expenses (food, Accommodation, traveling etc.)
From our college those students who have achieved positions, prizes & medals in competitions, department publishes the News in News Papers and the awardees are felicitated by college. That encourages maximum students to take part in sports events & activities.
Every year College meritorious sportsmen are given certificates on Annual social Gathering function, by the hands of special guest.
MISSION OF DEPARTMENT:
“Establishing and implementing high-quality round the year structured Sports; Health and Physical Education programs can provide students with the appropriate knowledge, skills, behaviors, and confidence to be physically active for life.”
- A balanced PE programme comprising concepts & skills development are necessary to lay strong foundation for participation in daily activities, intra-mural Sports/Games and recreational pursuits.
- Developing proficiency in physical activities helps students to channel their desire for play into constructive outcomes.
- Physical health and fitness enable students to carry out their daily tasks with vigour, and still leave them with sufficient energy to pursue and enjoy leisure activities.
- A high level of physical health and fitness usually indicates optimum physical and mental well-being.
- Body awareness and control are developed through movement activities where students use their bodies to express their ideas, attitudes and emotions.
- Opportunities for interaction during PE lessons serve to develop in students social qualities such as sportsmanship, co-operation, teamwork, loyalty & consideration for others.
- Some competitive sports & games may create emotionally charged situations. Under such circumstances, students are taught to manage their emotions and express themselves in socially acceptable ways.
- Safe practices are fundamental to the participation and enjoyment of physical activity.
- This will enable students to play safely and acquire an awareness of safety with respect to themselves and others.
Outdoor Games: Volleyball, Kabaddi, Athletics.
Indoor Games: Table Tennis, Weightlifting, Power lifting, Chess, Badminton
Institution has provided adequate infrastructure to the department of physical education & sports. Indoor and outdoor sports facility and games facilities catering to the diverse needs of the sports personnel have been provided. College provides support to students to grow our self physically & develop the sports area. The sports, games and gymnasium & yoga facilities made available to the sports personnel are as under:
The College provides following indoor and outdoor games facilities to the students.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF DEPARTMENT:
It is one of the biggest departments in the college so plays leadership role in many activities like organizing tournaments, Annual Intramural Sports Competition and Social Gathering, Celebration days of National importance, like National Sports day, International Yoga Day, Equipments Worship and many other sporting events. Students take parts various games notified by University and Sports directorate every year, and get selected at District, Division, State, national and All India Basis.
The Strong area of sports events of our college are,
“Physical Education Is an Integral Part of Education process Which as Its Aim Development of Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and Socially Fit Citizen Through the Medium of Physical Activities Which Has Been Selected with A View To Realising These Out Comes.”